Tuesday, September 22, 2009

GSV Membership

Following on from a recent post, I’ve finally allowed myself the free time to join my first family history group, the Genealogical Society of Victoria.

So far so good! As previously suggested, my last attempt to join a family history group didn’t go so well. It was akin to the dream where you find yourself at school, naked, and everyone is staring at you. Discounting the fact that I actually streaked naked across a roof-top during my school years, the situation as suggested was one of considerable discomfort.

This time around however I’ve had no such feeling. My visit to the GSV was an absolute joy. Helpful staff and volunteers were welcoming, giving me a quick introduction to the available resources, and assisted me with an initial inquiry.

At first glance I’d have thought that the fees were a little steep. But given that I’d managed to knock down a brick wall within 15 minutes of having been granted access to the appropriate resources, and that I was able to find some great material on another line, my membership has almost already paid for itself.

Great place, good people, and well worth the 10 minutes spent locked in the bloody stairwell, racing up and down frantically before having to set off the fire alarm (yes, this is what happens when you try to be exercise conscious, taking the stairs instead of the elevator).

No comments: